Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Toastmasters Speech: My Most Favourite Course

Hi,

We have all been attending courses throughout our lives. Some courses, we like. Some courses, we don’t like. Some courses, we are forced to attend. Some courses, we are willing to attend. Some are expensive and some are very affordable. Some we pay out of our pockets (cash, credit card, cheque or NETS) and some are sponsored.

I, too, have attended numerous courses. Many are for free which means the investment is time and energy. Of all the courses I have attended so far, there is this course which I have grown to like, so much that it has become my most favourite course. Sexual Intercourse you may think, but that is my second most favourite course, and after marriage, it has been only with my wife. So, what is this favourite course?

I have been attending this course since the day I was made to realise that it is to be treated as a course and not a stress or burden. Although, I started to accept it as a course only after some enlightenments by some people like my parents, especially my mother, some of my teachers, friends, situations and recently some books and visual media. Only recently, I have started to like and have fun with this course.

This course has many modules and tests after tests. It is stressful sometimes. It is enjoyable other times. You need to pay for some of the modules and some modules are free. Some modules and accompanying tests can cause so much stress and pain that sometimes, it may lead one to the extreme end of life – death to himself/herself or others near him/her.

I remember watching this Batman cartoon where he will answer to his sidekick on a particular incident, “When there is a will, there is a way.” That is the mantra I say to myself when I encounter such challenging modules and tests of the course. That mantra, too, I started to apply only after the year 2001 when I had a heart-breaking love break-off and being unemployed for a year after encountering my first retrenchment.

I encountered two subsequent retrenchments too and still I carried on with the course taking other modules and tests. Sometimes I do fail my tests and had to retake the tests. That have many times gave me better results than before. That is how I got my lovely wife. That is how I met and got linked with great friends like Zafar. That is how I am where I am now talking to you.

When will I graduate form this course ? Well, there is still a very long way to go and that time will come one day. Until then I have to complete some other modules and tests I am being presented to.

What is this course I am taking about? You would have guessed by now. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my most favourite course is called "Experience".

We all have experiences and it has many modules and accompanying tests. So, we can pass and get over them only when we learn a thing or two from them. If not we maybe required to retake them.

I have come to a point and realisation that experience is good and that is invaluable course that life have given to me.

(March 2007)

Best regards

Kumaran RN

No comments: